C4 Speech and Debate Club
- Speech club meets Thursdays 1:10-2:40 at Capital Baptist Church, Annandale.
- Club meets from September through mid-April.
- Open to students ages 12-18 on October 1, 2019.
- The club helps students learn basic public speaking skills and prepares students to compete in the local tournaments.
- C4 students must participate in the C4 hosted Groundhog Classic speech tournament. Tournament participation is essential for speaking improvement. We encourage all C4 students to participate in the other 2 local tournaments. Dates and locations of these tournaments will be announced as soon as possible. C4 affiliates with Stoa, a national homeschool speech and debate league, and conducts its tournaments according to Stoa rules. Students have opportunity to compete and earn a slot to the national competition in 11 competitive speech events in four broad categories:
- Limited Preparation
- Wild Card
- Extemp is a limited prep speech based on current events. Extemp practice meets on Tuesday evening 7:00-8:30 at Jerusalem Baptist Church in Fairfax Station.
- All speeches will be practiced during breakout rooms but all preparation for the limited prep events, platform, and interpretive events must be done at home.
- Junior Speech for siblings ages 7-11. Juniors will have 3 opportunities to compete in C4 hosted tournaments at Capital Baptist Church.
- Childcare for infants through 6